Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Lists

Yesterday we did a lot of this:
This month we've also been trying our hand at this:
And enjoying this:
But sometimes we just need a little of this:

Sorry for the sporadic posts. For those of you who don't know, I'm expecting another baby in December (yay!) so my motivation the past 12 weeks has been non-existent (boo!) I'm hoping that will remedy itself soon, but until that happens I'm napping whenever Ben naps and using the remainder of my free time to eat and wander aimlessly around my house. I know. I'm a very driven person.

This weekend was great. Ben and I enjoyed having daddy home an extra day and lots of family time. Yesterday we went to Lowes and bought an outdoor fan for our gazebo/pergola area in the backyard, ate Mexican food for lunch, installed the fan, grilled chicken and let a certain happy little boy play with the water hose to his hearts content. We also hung a flag outside the house for the first time and I enjoyed having such a powerful reminder of what Memorial Day is really about.

We've been having fun observing Ben and picking up clues about his constantly developing personality. Yesterday morning Joel made a list of items to pickup at Lowes and things to do around the house. After Joel patiently explained to him the concept of a list and what it's for, Ben decided he wanted to try his hand at list making. He walked in the bedroom clenching a pencil in his mouth and waving a sheet of paper in his chubby little hand. After positioning his pencil and paper just right, Benjamin would stick his tongue out, furrow his brow, say out loud what he wanted to do that day and then painstakingly scribble a little pencil mark on his paper to show it had been recorded. This was Ben's list:

tory (story)
B (This means Ladybird, and I'm pretty sure he meant he wanted to play with Ladybird.)
baf (bath)
nap
eat
eat
eat (Yes, he said this 3 times. )
Rrrrraaaawww! (Ok, in the grand tradition of mothers of toddlers, I completely understand this nonsense. It means tiger, and Ben has watched the Wonder Pets Save the Bengal Tiger every. single. day. for THREE WEEKS. Obviously he couldn't miss a day and needed to make sure it was on the list.)

You'll be happy to know he got everything done and was even able to add more tasks! Quite an achievement in time management for a two year old:)

3 comments:

Jerilyn said...

Congratulations! Ben will love have brother/sister.

Jerilyn said...

Make that "having"!

Anne and Joel said...

Thanks for the congratulations! We're very excited about Ben having a younger sibling to play with. Of course, we'll have to explain that newborns aren't really the best playmates:)