When Benjamin was born at 35 weeks, I had done NOTHING in his room. Since I'd had to be on bedrest for the 5 weeks before his birth, fixing up the nursery was at the bottom of my list. I had a dresser/changing table I never got around to painting, a hand me down glider from the 70s, a crib from Craigslist and a shelving unit. Then Benjamin was born and suddenly I didn't have time or the desire to fix up his room beyond the basics. I promised myself it would be different for this baby, and so far we're making progress! Ben and his little brother will be sharing a room, and although baby #2 will be sleeping close to mama and daddy for a few months I still want their shared space to be ready by the time he gets here.
Before Ben was born we bought a used mid-century dresser off Craigslist to use as a changing table. It was completely beat up with lots of scratches and so many white rings on top that the finish was completely gone. My intent was to paint it white but that never happened. We just lived with it until that "someday" when we could fix it up. Well, 2 1/2 years later it happened!
Here's a before picture. Obviously you can't see the whole dresser, but you can see the scratches up and down the side, and the worn finish.
Joel sanded and stripped the whole thing in his shop. That was a veeeery long process:) Then he stained it a dark walnut.


Ta-Da! The finished product!
I'll post more pictures of the nursery as it starts to come together. I think it actually might get done this time!
3 comments:
The dresser looks gorgeous! You look great too.
Looks great Joel! Chris was also impressed!
It looks great. I think you'll be glad you stained it for that very dings/scratch reason.
Post a Comment